Career network: Healthcare
Phipps Neighborhoods, in collaboration with Hostos Community College and Montefiore Medical Center, operates the Career Network: Healthcare program for young people ages 18 to 26 to begin careers in the allied health services sector. Working closely with Hostos to develop the academic, classroom-based preparation required, coupled with hands-on experiential learning at Montefiore Medical Center, Phipps Neighborhoods supports young people in exploring and identifying health care professions. Hostos Community College and Phipps Neighborhoods collaborate to build a career exploration class to expose young people to various employment opportunities in the medical center. Montefiore Medical Center provides on-the-job training that is tailored to the specific interests of participants so as to create a clear pathway to employment.
- The program is 13 weeks, Monday through Friday 9am to 4pm
- It combines classroom training and instruction with hands-on experiential learning activities
- Three program areas: work readiness, career exploration and career coaching
- Upon completion, program graduates have the option to interview for entry-level positions at Montefiore and other healthcare providers or pursue a certification program at Hostos
- Stipends are provided weekly as well as small incentives for attendance and performance
Career Network: Healthcare recruits on a rolling basis, with programs beginning approximately every three months.